Sunday 11 August 2013

Visual Artist Ronex Ahimbisibwe comes aboard

On Saturday 10 August, in Ronex's backyard/studio, I get my first view of one of the installation pieces created especially for Mango Roses. Actors/Singers and audience will have the opportunity to build upon this work! I love the way Ronex thinks and processes ideas.

The Bowl of Expectation...or call it what you will...according to Ronex. The 'strings' are reminiscent of African musical instuments. You are free to come up with your own interpreations...but notice the 'liasons' in the knotted strings, the pregnant belly in the bowl. And the red...well, pain for now! Ronex promises to provide a little write-up for each piece created. 

I appreciate and respect the art of Ronex Ahimbisibwe and I was thrilled when he accepted the request to design the artwork for the show. In fact, he has offered to do what I had dreamt he would do: he plans to create an entire exhibition on the Mango Roses theme. So, we can expect even more over the coming weeks. If you are not familiar with his work, do pop in to the Afri-Art Gallery. You won't regret it.

My crude digital manipulation of Ronex's work - I did get permission!


No comments:

Post a Comment